To report all vehicles for which you are reporting tax
(including an increase in taxable gross weight) and those that
you are reporting suspension of the tax by category and
vehicle identification number (VIN).
As proof of payment to register your vehicle(s) (unless
specifically exempted) in any state. Use the copy of
Schedule 1 stamped and returned to you by the IRS for this
In order to E-File IRS Form 2290 and get a stamped Schedule 1, the process can be rather complicated.
has a solution to make this filing process as simple as possible.
Here are the traditional instructions:
- The First Step to Receive a Stamped Schedule 1
for your Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT) is to fill out
the IRS Form 2290. The Schedule 1 is generated by the information entered in this form. This can be done
either by hand or online.
- This Form then needs to be taken to the nearest IRS Office along with a proof of payment or proof of
EFTPS (Electronic Federal Tax Payment System) Payment. This could also be mailed to the IRS as well.
- If the form is mailed to the IRS, it can take 4-6 weeks before it is processed.
- If the form is actually taken to the IRS, the nearest office may be many miles away. There can also
be very long waiting period at the IRS office of up to several hours.
- Both options are very time consuming.
- The IRS will then review your Form 2290 and when it is verified, they will stamp it and return a portion of it to the taxpayer.
The Stamped Schedule 1 is required in order to register a vehicle. So it can be very stressful to wait
until the last minute to register your vehicle because you are waiting for the IRS to send you a stamped
Although these are the traditional ways of getting a Stamped Schedule 1, an easier way has come about in
the past few years. E-Filing has become more and more popular among taxpayers and tax professionals. The
IRS itself recommends E-Filing as their preferred method for filing most tax forms. A leading provider of
this service for those in the Trucking or Transportation industry is Expresstrucktax.com